Saturday, May 28, 2011

Under My Skin - Addressing Hurt Feelings

I got my feelings hurt this morning.

I feel misunderstood, and judged.

I was offended.

I reacted.  Not responded.

Via text message, a friend of mine informed me that a mutual acquaintance thought my profile picture As seen here) was desperate and inappropriate.  I thought it was fun, playful, beautiful, and sexy. Perhaps I am showing too much leg for that person's taste?  Perhaps its the way I am leaning forward with my arm back?

I went through this 2 years ago when I posted pictures from my first trip to Hawaii ... "some people" were all a flutter because I shared pictures of me in a bikini!  For crying out loud people!  I was once a fat and frumpy person.  I am not now!  I am now feeling beautiful and sexy and happy.  I am not chasing any one's man.  I have one of my own that I am quite content with, thank you very much.

Are other women so insecure with them selves that I have to curb my own self image?  One that I have battled with for most of my 43 years!  What would my mystery critic have done, if I had entered the Pin-Up-Girl contest at the local spring car show?

My first instinct was to crawl into a hole, and stop sharing who I am.  To stop sharing my journey if it is going to be offensive to "some one".  BUT!!  I am not going to do that.  I am proud of who I am now.  I am proud of my body and how I look.  While I still have much more to continue, I am currently very pleased with the lifestyle changes that I have made in order to be a healthier more fit me.  I was fat and frumpy for so so so many years of my adult life, and to now be happy with the way I look is totally new for me.  THIS experience is part of my journey of healing!  It is just a fact of life that when we put ourselves out there, we are at times going to be shot at like ducks in the arcade shooting gallery.


I was planning to change my picture anyway to something patriotic, for Memorial Day, so I did that this morning, just for that mystery person.  A photo of a lovely red white and blue wreath of flowers on a stand.  I don't like the way that made me feel ... I caved.  I complied.  Then, I felt totally sassy about the whole thing and had to stop myself several times from making some kind of nasty sarcastic comment under my new picture ... I do not like feeling that way at all! So I changed my picture again, to something as innocuous as my sarcastic self could manage this morning, without (again) being totally offensive to SOMEONE.

I have spent so many years trying to break down the wall that I built up around myself, and this morning, a few more bricks were put right back up again!  So, back I go again to the process of breaking free of the bondages that have confined my spirit, back to discovering who I really am, and learning to fly so that I can get back to really ...

Living Well!
Love
Suzi~Q

2 comments:

  1. I can totally see how you would have your feelings hurt with that comment, it's hard not to take it personal. There is a quote I like: " Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter". If this person can NOT accept you the way you are, than you just need to let them go... BTW, I love your picture and I think you should be so proud of all the changes you made to better yourself and your life. You GO girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanela, You are SO SO right! And I just keep GOING! :)

      Delete