Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Gift of Life

I have been donating blood for several years now.  I recently received my 2 gallon pin!  I go just about every 90 days, and the only gap in my donation cycles have been when I was on a medication that prohibited my donating.

Donating blood is an amazing experience to be sure!  One truly direct way you can literally give of your self!  I always feel so good after I have donated!  I know that the pint of blood that I have given will be used to save lives!  I know that my body will beautifully make more!

In my region, Puget Sound Blood Center is the premier collection organization.  They have been doing research and providing blood to area hospitals for 65 years.

OK, YES!  I HATE having that needle in my arm for the 10 or so minutes it takes to donate a full pint!  I am not afraid of needles, I am just very sensitive to the way any foreign object feels in my skin!  HOWEVER, the benefit to my community far out-weighs my discomfort.

To prepare my body for this process, I make an extra concerted effort to hydrate during the 24 hours prior to my appointment.  I make sure I have a bit more protein than usual.  I have a cup of coffee about an hour before. I like to make sure I am really warm too.  These things work for me ... the warmth, and caffeine elevate my blood pressure a little, which makes the donation go faster. Of course being hydrated is critical to the donation process, as well as the post donation recovery.

Leave a comment, and share your positive blood donation experience!

Live Well, and be healthy ... and donate blood if you can!  It helps others to Live Well too!
Love Suzi~Q

No comments:

Post a Comment