Monday, October 18, 2010

Stuffed Pork Roast

 A co-worker told me about a stuffed pork tenderloin she made a couple of weeks ago, and I was totally inspired! I used to cook a lot when my kids were young, and when I have the time, I actually like cooking. 

I like the way it feels to provide yummy and nourishing food for the people that I love!

I love to work food with my bare hands, as I believe that is how the love gets in! 

I told the love of my life that I was going to make him a nice dinner on Saturday ... a stuffed pork roast! His reply ... "Yum! Apple Crisp goes really good with pork roast!"  LOL ... 

So I planned that menu item as well, just 'cause he's so darn cute!  He is a good sport, and lets me mess up his kitchen, and is a willing taste tester to my re-emergence into the cooking realm!

Eating well does not have to cost a lot of money!  I raised 3 children on $300, or less a month in groceries!  For this menu, I happen to have found pork roast on sale a the local grocery store for $1.69 per pound, so my roast cost about $5.

I used a box of instant stuffing mix, which is less than $2. I found asparagus on sale for $1.98 per pound. Ok, on a side note, I'm an asparagus snob, and if it is fatter than a pencil, it is no good to me, but I went out on a limb and decided for this project, that if the asparagus as was too fat for my regular taste, I could slice it lengthwise and make it work!! Which I did, and it worked quite nicely!

I froze the roast a couple of days before, and then the day of cooking set in on the counter to thaw a little. Slightly frozen meat is easier to cut.  I took a very sharp knife, and gently started cutting, as if I was slicing off a 1 inch thick slab, but I stopped about an inch from the bottom of the roast, and folded it open like a book.  Then, cutting from the "hinge" out, I cut another slab, almost off, and folded it open. I continued in this spiral sort of manner until the roast was a 1 inch thick piece of meat on the board. I massaged light seasonings on the raw meat: sage, pepper, garlic powder, and let it stand for about 10 minutes while I prepared the stuffing.

 I cooked up a box of instant stuffing mix and let it cool.  Now, a person could really have some fun here, and add minced onion, and celery, and mushrooms, but I did not this time.  I spread the stuffing out on the meat, pressing and patting it into place. Then I laid the asparagus stalks across the narrow width, and proceeded to roll it all up like a jelly roll, and tied it snuggly with cotton string.  I sprinkled the entire exterior with a little bit of lemon pepper, and wrapped the whole thing in foil, and set it in a baking dish. 

I baked it at 325 degrees for about 1 hour, then opened the foil, and turned the temp to 350 for another hour until it was cooked through, and gently golden on top.

Sliced, and served with grilled veggies, and homemade bread (that was very painful and not as successful as I was hoping, and another story to share in another post!). 

Followed later that evening with very yummy homemade apple crisp,which made up for the failed bread.

The way to a man's heart at times IS through his tummy!!  My very deserving man had a very happy tummy, and some wonderful left overs!

Give it a try, and tell me what you think!
Eat Well! Love well! Live Well!

Love SuziQue

Follow Rural Girl SuziQue as she shares crochet designs, healthy food, exercise, fun adventures, and so much more that will challenge, inspire and encourage you to truly live your life as fully and wonderfully as possible!

Don't miss out on anything! Subscribe to us on any or all of these venues:
(they are not all always the same! So why not check them all out!??)
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PerfectlyKnotty
Our blog: http://livingwellwithsuziq.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @livingwell112
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/hismrsque/feed
and Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment